Monday, September 26, 2005

Meditation - some of the best things are free.

Hi All,

Monday yet again and the cycle of the working week begins once more. One of the most beneficial things that I have found that to get myself through the grind of IT work is meditation. The ability to look inside onself, to still the crazy machine that is your mind and sit in silence has to be experienced to be believed. Only when you turn the mind in on itself can do you begin to see how out of control your "mind" is, how much noisy chatter it endlessly goes on with. You also begin to see how much tension you carry around in your body for no apparent reason.

I have been meditating seriously again for the past couple of months after a 5 month period where I stopped. The benefits have been felt straight away. I am able to concentrate a lot better and don't stress about much at all. In 5 minutes have myself centered, have everything in its true perspective and have a feeling of deep relaxation.. Not bad for something that is a) free and b) easy to do. I have meditated on and off for periods over the last 8 or 9 years going for months at a time of good practice, then getting drawn back into the world of work and school and bills etc. and making excuses of "not having enough time." Gradually at first and then I find that I havn't meditated in a week. Oh well I suppose it all has its purpose in the larger scheme of things.

If you want to get into meditating I can definately recommend the course at www.meditation.org.au as a wonderfull introduction to the practice of mediation.

Until Tommorow

Steve